The Deputy Minister of Agriculture, Hon. John Dumelo underscored the need for Ghana to transmute from a consumption-driven economy to a production-driven economy to achieve greater national efficiency and long-term economic stability.
Speaking at the Ghana-China Business Summit in Accra on Monday, June 23, 2025, Dumelo underscored the importance of increasing agricultural productivity and value addition as key components of this shift.
“To feed our industries and to export is good, and adding value before we export is even better. But what we really need is efficiency, efficiency in maximising the use of the land we have. We must prioritize efficiency when it comes to agriculture,” he stated.
Dumelo noted that a production-focused economic model would drive job creation, support local businesses, and improve Ghana’s food security and export capabilities.
He also emphasised that the country’s economic resilience depends on building a strong foundation in agriculture and industrial production.
The Deputy Minister further called for innovative partnerships with technologically advanced countries, particularly China, to help modernise Ghana’s agricultural sector.
“That’s why it’s important to partner with countries like China to help us maximise the use of our land, especially in the transfer of technology. Even though our doors have been open for a long time, we are opening new doors now”, he explained.
Cocoa farmers in the world’s second-biggest producer Ghana are expecting a bumper harvest for the upcoming 2025/2026 season, buoyed by improved flowering and pod development, even as they grapple with persistent challenges in input supplies and erratic weather.
The West African country has seen output fall in previous seasons due to reasons, including diseases, climate change and rampant illegal gold mining, which destroys cocoa plantations and reduces yields.
However, growers are cautiously optimistic about the next season, saying better weather conditions and a decline in diseases should help increase production.
“Farmers who have dedicated time to their cocoa farms will definitely see a bumper harvest this season,” said Theophilus Tamakloe, cocoa farmer and vice president of a national farmers’ association.
“We are witnessing significant improvement compared to last year in terms of flowers, pods, and leaf health,” Tamakloe, who farms in Ghana’s Assin North district, added.
Tamakloe is projecting an increase from 230 bags of cocoa last season to 350 bags for the upcoming harvest. But he warned that excessive rainfall and a lack of timely fungicide distribution from Ghana’s cocoa regulator, COCOBOD, could undermine yields.
Another farmer, Salomey Saah, echoed Tamakloe’s optimism but shared similar concerns about pest control in an interview with Reuters.
“This year, I approached my cocoa farm as a business, and I have seen tremendous improvement. I’m targeting about 2,000 bags, up from the 1,000 bags I harvested in the 2024/2025 season,” said Saah, who farms in the central-western Tano district.
However, she cautioned that without pesticides, insects could destroy all the crops just within three days.
Kwame Alex, who became the National Best Cocoa Farmer in 2024, produced over 2,000 bags last season. Alex is even more ambitious, aiming to reach 3,000 bags next season, he told Reuters.
COCOBOD did not immediately respond to a request for comment. The regulator has not yet announced a production target for the new season which will open in August.
Data from COCOBOD showed in May that Ghana was likely to miss its output target of 650,000 metric tons of the 2024/2025 season.
The West African country’s output is expected to plunge to just 590,000 tons this season.
Ghana and neighbouring Ivory Coast, which together account for over 60% of global cocoa production, have been facing their worst harvests in decades.
Deputy Minister of Food and Agriculture, John Dumelo, has called on Ghanaians to harness their collective strengths and work together toward building a self-reliant and food secure nation.
Speaking at the Citi Business Forum held on the theme Harnessing Agribusiness for Economic Growth: Expanding Ghana’s Agribusiness Frontiers, in Accra on Thursday June 19, he outlined the government’s commitment to ensuring year-round farming as a cornerstone of national food security.
He emphasised that achieving this goal will require greater collaboration between the public and private sectors.
“Our aim as government is to encourage all-year-round farming,” he said. “And all-year-round farming involves irrigation. Irrigation also involves the private sector. So we are encouraging each and every one of you to get into the private sector part of agriculture so that we can make agric great again.”
The Deputy Minister noted that with the right investments in irrigation infrastructure and technology, Ghana can significantly reduce its dependence on seasonal rainfall and boost agricultural productivity throughout the year.
He stressed that sustainable agriculture must be driven not only by policy but by active citizen participation and innovation.
“Together, let us leverage our collective strengths to build a self-reliant, prosperous, and food secure Ghana for generations to come,” he urged.
Dumelo’s remarks align with the government’s broader agricultural agenda, which includes promoting agribusiness, attracting private investment, and strengthening food systems to withstand climate and economic shocks.
His call comes at a time when global food security remains a pressing concern, and Ghana is seeking to boost domestic production to reduce imports and stabilize food prices
Daniel Fahene Acquaye, agribusiness specialist and Chief Executive Officer of Agri-Impact Group, has underscored the vast job creation potential within Ghana’s agricultural sector, especially for young people.
Speaking on Channel One TV’s Breakfast Daily on Wednesday, June 18, he highlighted Agri-Impact’s Harnessing Agricultural Productivity and Prosperity for Youth (HAPPY) Program, which aims to create job opportunities across the agricultural value chain for young individuals.
He emphasised that Ghana’s reliance on food imports could be transformed into a powerful engine for employment if strategic investments are made in local production.
“If you are importing, let’s say, $600 million worth of rice, convert that into agricultural production and you will see the number of jobs that rice alone can create—if we develop the infrastructure. If the heavy lifting is done by government and the private sector leverages that, rice alone can give us over a million jobs.”
The 326,000 jobs we’re talking about—for us, that’s not even much, because we are looking at four value chains: rice, soya, poultry, and tomatoes. If you look at rice, from the North all the way down, there are so many areas where we can grow more,” he said.
The agribusiness specialist further called for the development of strong agribusiness anchor champions within the private sector to complement government efforts in agricultural infrastructure development.
“We need to build agribusiness anchor champions—private sector actors—because when the government builds the infrastructure, you need people with the resources and knowledge, strong enough to leverage that infrastructure,” Mr. Acquaye emphasised.
Agri-Impact Group is one of the key sponsors of Channel One TV/Citi FM’s AgriFair, scheduled for Friday, June 20th to Sunday, June 22nd, 2025.
An onion seller near Makola Market in Accra, Madam Faustina Djagbele Abbey, has filed a GH¢2 million lawsuit against telecom giant Telecel, operated by Ghana Telecommunications Company Limited, for what she describes as a gross violation of her privacy, personal liberties, and image rights.
According to court documents filed at the High Court, through her legal counsel Bernard Owiredu Donkor of Thompson Law Consult, Madam Abbey claims Telecel used her photograph without her knowledge or consent in marketing campaigns for the company’s “Telecel Red Save” product.
The said image has reportedly been circulated widely across billboards, traditional media, and social media platforms. In her statement of claim, Madam Abbey avers that she only became aware of the unauthorised use of her image after being alerted by friends and customers.
She says the unexpected publicity has led to psychological distress, strained family relations, and misconceptions about her financial status.
According to her, some family members now assume she has become financially well-off, resulting in tension and discomfort in her personal life.
“The use of my photograph without my consent has unnecessarily exposed me,’ Madam Abbey noted in her writ.
“| am unable to deal with the enormous publicity. It has impacted heavily on my mental health.”
She also alleges that Telecel’s actions were deliberate and targeted, exploiting her vulnerable position as a market trader for corporate gain.
She warns that the company is likely to continue its conduct unless the court intervenes.
Madam Abbey is seeking three key reliefs from the High Court:
1. A declaration that Telecel violated her privacy and personal liberties.
2. A declaration that her image rights were abused through the unauthorized use of her photo.
3. An order directing Telecel to pay GH¢2,000,000.00 as compensation for the alleged violations.
Additionally, she wants all advertisements bearing her image whether on billboards, social media, or any other platforms to be pulled down.
The Tree Crop Development Authority (TCDA) has announced a new regulatory framework requiring all importers of palm oil products to register and obtain a permit before engaging in any importation activities.
The directive, which takes effect on 14th July 2025, is part of a wider move to sanitise the industry and promote sustainable growth in Ghana’s vital oil palm sector.
In a statement released by the Authority copied to GraphicOnline, the regulation applies specifically to imports of Crude Palm Oil (CPO), Crude Palm Olein, and refined Palm Olein (vegetable oil). It mandates that all importers, processors, and traders operating within the oil palm value chain must be registered and licensed under the provisions of the Tree Crops Development Authority Act, 2019 (Act 1010) and L.I. 2471.
The Authority emphasised that the unregulated influx of palm oil into the country has posed considerable challenges to local industry players, especially smallholder farmers and processors, through market distortions and the circulation of substandard products.
“This bold step is to strengthen regulation and streamline operations within Ghana’s vital oil palm sector,” the TCDA said. “We aim to ensure quality and safety standards across all imported palm oil products, protect local producers from unfair competition, generate reliable data on import volumes and sources, and boost investor confidence through improved governance.”
Importers are now required to register at the TCDA Head Office, located at No. 20 Nii Tsatse Dzani Street, East Legon-Ajiriganor, Accra, using the GhanaPost GPS code GD-253-5931. Inquiries and submissions can also be made via phone at 0303 981790 / 0243 946 154 or by email at info@tcda.gov.gh.
The Authority warned that failure to comply with the new directive would constitute a breach of national law and would attract sanctions as prescribed under the TCDA Act and accompanying regulations.
In a move to promote transparency, the TCDA also revealed that it would soon publish a list of all registered and licensed actors in the oil palm sector, further strengthening oversight and public accountability.
The oil palm industry is a key contributor to Ghana’s agricultural economy, employing thousands and supporting local agro-processing.
The Minister for Food and Agriculture, Eric Opoku, has announced that earth-moving equipment procured under the District Road Improvement Programme (DRIP) will soon be deployed to construct farm roads across the country.
He said all districts will be provided with fuel to operate the DRIP machines to ensure they are used for their intended purpose.
Speaking to journalists in Kumasi on Sunday, June 15, Mr. Opoku revealed that the government will temporarily halt all major road construction projects in rural areas to make way for the DRIP equipment to be utilized effectively.
“What we intend to do is to provide all districts with the financial resources to fuel the machines and use the available equipment to develop access roads. This will make it easier to transport food from farms to communities without any difficulty,” he said.
The minister further disclosed that some officials were preparing to award new road construction contracts in rural areas, but he intervened to stop them.
“Just last week, some people were preparing to award contracts for the construction of roads in some rural communities. I asked them to stop because we already have the equipment. All we need to do is provide them with fuel and let them go to work,” he added.
Public Relations Expert Bagbara Tanko Takes Leadership Role as Head of PR at the Ministry of Sports and RecreationAfter an impressive eight-year tenure as the Head of Public Relations at the Ministry of Food and Agriculture (MoFA), Bagbara Tanko has assumed a new position as the Head of Public Relations at the Ministry of Sports and Recreation.
He succeeds Mr. Kenneth Annang, who has moved on to serve at the Ministry of Youth Development and Empowerment.
This transition marks an exciting new chapter in Tanko’s distinguished career as a communication specialist dedicated to advancing government initiatives through strategic storytelling, media engagement, and stakeholder outreach.
A Record of Excellence and Industry Recognition
Tanko’s exceptional contributions to the field of public relations have garnered him several awards and recognitions, underscoring his influence and dedication:
– Best Public Relations Officer in Feature Writing (2023) at the 4th Government Public Relations Officers Excellence Awards in Accra.
– Best PR Personality (2022)
– Named among Ghana’s Top 25 PR Personalities by the Ghana Public Sector Awards scheme in 2022
– Recognition of Excellence (2008) from the Ministry of Information and National Orientation for outstanding reporting accuracy and timeliness
These accolades reflect his talent for crafting compelling narratives that effectively promote government programs and enhance public understanding.
Innovative Communication in Agriculture
Throughout his time at MoFA, Tanko was instrumental in designing and implementing impactful communication campaigns for major national events such as National Farmers’ Day and World Food Day.
His adept use of print, digital, and video platforms successfully engaged diverse audiences, raising awareness on vital issues such as food security, climate resilience, and rural development.
He contributed influential content to flagship agricultural initiatives, including Planting for Food and Jobs, Rearing for Food and Jobs, and Planting for Exports and Rural Development.
His strategic messaging and stakeholder engagement efforts helped ensure these programs’ visibility and effectiveness. For World Food Day, he coordinated media partnerships, social campaigns, and outreach activities to highlight efforts aimed at eradicating hunger and promoting sustainable food systems.
Legacy and Impact
Tanko’s award-winning feature articles have played a significant role in showcasing MoFA’s achievements and innovations.
Known for clarity, engaging storytelling, and human-interest angles, his writings have deepened public understanding of agricultural policies and government efforts.
His leadership has elevated the ministry’s profile, ensuring that key initiatives resonate with Ghanaian farmers and stakeholders alike.
Looking Ahead
As he begins his new role at the Ministry of Sports and Recreation, Tanko remains committed to impactful communication.
His career exemplifies the power of strategic public relations in government, and his move is seen as an opportunity to leverage his expertise to foster national development, unity, and promote sports and recreation initiatives across Ghana.
A Career Marked by Excellence
Tanko’s journey highlights the crucial role of effective communication in shaping public perception and advancing national objectives. His numerous awards and accomplishments position him as a leading figure in Ghana’s public relations sector, inspiring emerging professionals in the field.
The government and the public look forward to his continued success in his new role, confident that his proven expertise will make a meaningful contribution to Ghana’s ongoing development, unity, and progress through innovative and engaging communication strategies.
The President of the Federation of Associations of Ghanaian Exporters (FAGE), Davies Narh Korboe, has said that the horticulture sector must be the biggest beneficiary of the much-anticipated 24-Hour Economy.
He made this assertion at the launch of the Ghana Horticulture Expo 2025, at the Accra International Conference Centre on June 11, 2025.
He indicated that the Ghana Horticulture Expo 2025 is a grand orchestra of ideas and enterprise, an ensemble of farmers and pharmacists, processors and policymakers, researchers and retailers, all convened to declare that horticulture is not just a problem, but a central pillar of our nation’s future.
He highlighted the theme, “Innovate, Transform, Sustain: Driving Growth in Ghana’s Horticulture Sector,” as one that reflects the national agenda aligned with continental trade goals and a reaffirmation of commitment to sustainable development goals.
More importantly, he said, the theme is a call to action to all stakeholders to move beyond potential and into purposeful action. “Over the years, we have led missions, hosted forums, established platforms, and partnered with global institutions to lift Ghana’s agri-export visibility. The Expo is a fruit of that labor,” he stated.
“The first edition in 2024 was received so effectively. This second edition, resonating in scope, scale, and sophistication, is the beginning of a harvest—a harvest of ideas, technologies, investments, and partnerships that redefine how the world sees Ghana’s green economy,” he affirmed.
The FAGE President indicated that they were not just there to sell food and vegetables, but to build futures. He highlighted that the global agriculture market value of $320 billion by 2030 is crying out for premium, traceable, ethically sourced tropical products from Ghana.
“This ambition remains rich. If we are bold enough to confront policy, energy, access, security, labor status, and technology, a 24-hour business economy will not only increase output, but it will also be conscious of patients, create high-quality jobs, and radically enhance our competitive place on the global stage. We, at FAGE, are ready to go into battle, bound by units, logistics layers, and tech innovators, to pilot, model, and scale lift-off efficiency from the soil to the shelf, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.” “Let us leave with a shared understanding that this moment is a movement. A movement to take Ghana’s growing potential into growing opportunity. A movement to grow not just crops, but capacity. To harvest not just produce, but prosperity. Let’s plan with purpose. Let’s process with pride. Let’s support with essence. Let’s build a 24-hour economy where no idea slips, no produce drops, and no dream is left behind.” He added.
Meanwhile, the President of the Republic of Ghana, John Dramani Mahama, has announced the official start of the much-anticipated 24-hour economy flagship program, commencing on July 1, 2025.
The President of the Republic of Ghana, John Dramani Mahama has indicated Ghana’s position to lead Africa’s agriculture transformation during the opening of the Ghana’s biggest horticulture expo in Accra.